For those of you who may not remember, my problem was not being able to reach
certain URLs from Win98 machines connected to my ADSL line via my LINUX box.

In the end, it turned out not to be a LINUX problem after all. I finally got
around to using ethereal to try to see if the MTU was properly set on the
Win98s. It was OK, but playing with ethereal, I discovered that on the
problem URLs, DNS was not returning the same IP address to Win98 as I was
getting in LINUX. I then checked and discovered that the 3 Win98 machines
were configured to use a different DNS server than the one in my LINUX
resolv.conf. The reason is that the Win98s were set up long before I had ADSL
and the DNS server was for the ISP I used about 5 years ago. The DNS in
resolv.conf belongs to my current ISP. Until a few weeks ago, this was not a
problem.

In fact, I had ruled out a DNS problem earlier because the Win98s could reach
most URLs with no problem and there were only a few problematical URLs. I
still don't understand this. I would have thought that if the DNS server was
not funtioning, all translations would not work. I guess I was wrong about
that. But, in any case, that's not really on topic, since I now know that the
problem was not LINUX.

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://come.to/shlomo.solomon