Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 08:04:26PM +0200, Daniel Feiglin wrote:

Hello folks!

I just upgraded my SuSE 8.1 system yo SuSE 9.0. Everything worked fine (for a change) - except I no longer get Hebrew keyboard input, just question marks, "dominos" or nothing. This applies to native Linux apps as well as Win stuff running under Crossover Office.

What is the input of 'locale'?

LANG=en_US LC_CTYPE="en_US" LC_NUMERIC="en_US" LC_TIME="en_US" LC_COLLATE=POSIX LC_MONETARY="en_US" LC_MESSAGES="en_US" LC_PAPER="en_US" LC_NAME="en_US" LC_ADDRESS="en_US" LC_TELEPHONE="en_US" LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US" LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US" LC_ALL=

What programs did you test this with?

Just about everything. Here are a few examples:

1. Simple Konsole - Question marks
2. kwrite - Hebrew OK
3. crisp (text editor) - Nothing at all (worked OK previously)
4. This (Mozilla Mail Client) - Hebrew OK
5. MS Word under CX Office - funny dominos. The launch command is
LANG=he_IL "/home/danny/cxoffice/bin/wine"
"C://ProgramFiles//MicrosoftOffice//Office//WINWORD.EXE"
(one line), exactly as under SuSE 8.1
6. emacs 21.3.1 - Nothing at all
7. kate (text editor) - Hebrew OK
8. gedit (text editor) - Hebrew OK

Things done:
1. Checked that XFree86 recognised IL as a keyboard variant (using SuSE SAX2 utility).
2. Sent a message to SuSE installation support (no reply, over a week).

Has anyone else had this experience?

And something weird: Open Office (as supplied) DOES switch to Hebrew and back, even though the bidi method is slightly whacky.

What do you mean?

Ummm. It uses "push mode" as does cases 2. 7. and 8. above. What version of OpenOffice is this, BTW?

Version 1.1.0, out of the package