guy keren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> that's not what he was writing. he said that the benchmark should be
> perfrmed on one of those systems. he didn't say these systems contained
> the NPTL code from CVS head. get yourself one of those systems, and
> test.

Sorry, misattributed. Linus did test Fedora and responded to Ulrich
;-)

> > So in the 7.2 vs 9 case, can the client grab the kernel RPM from
> > Fedora Core 1, rpm -ivh it reboot, and compare again?
>
> it's not a kernel issue - it's a libraries issue. do read that post again,
> to see the light ;)

I did correct myself in a followup, didn't I? ;-)

> and please DON'T suggest that people take binaries frm one distro and
> install on another - some people on this list will not notice your
> question mark, thinkthis is the way to go, and find their systems unable
> to boot any longer. people tend to read what they want see :0

The rpm -ivh kernel*.i686.rpm procedure on redhat usually works for
me. There is little danger that the system won't boot any longer - the
old kernel stays there. Note (you did, this is for the benefit of
"some people on this list" only) that I merely asked if it was
feasible in one case out of Shachar's two: the one that does not
involve an enterprize-class server.

Glibc is trickier, as I mentioned in a followup to myself. Don't try
that at work...

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | [EMAIL PROTECTED]