If i am not mistaken cvs has a configuration option for internal filtering using
cvswrappers though i am not sure it works.
maybe you can take, for example, some script to convert doc to html before
filtering.
if thats not satisfactory:
concerning your doubting, there is a tool called OpenOffice that can read docs,
and also abiword. i.e:
you can take the mechanism of one of them to convert doc to some xml
representation and work on the file from there. from now on they would be text
diffed.
or just mass convert using OpenOffice(i understand you can do that) all the doc
files to xml format and work only on xml.
just to prove that OSS can deliver the goods if you let it.

There are many non OSS software out there that can do that, and probably also
freeWares closed source that can do the same on windows using word as a
proccessor if its already installed.