I have SuSE 9.0 installed on an all-PCI system (no ISA slot) with an Intel 536ep modem.

1. Under Windows 2K it works fine.
2. Under SuSE 8.1 it worked fine with the supplied driver.
3. Under SuSE 9.0 the supplied driver fails to detect the carrier. Closer examination (depmod -a) reveals that the two loadable modules 536epcore.o and 536ep.o have unresolved globals. Manual install with insmod -f shows that these modules are compiled with a different version of the compiler than the kernel - and therefore it is no suprise that there are problems. (As a matter of interest, the modem worked once during the install, indicating that the kernel used for the istall was built with the same compiler versions.)
4. These two modules are NOT open source.
5. The Intel site does not carry newer versions.
6. The SuSE upodate (downloaded and installed on the one occaision the modem worked) no longer works.

So:
1. Does anyone know of the whereabouts of these two modules compiled for SuSE 9.0?
2. Alternatively, instead of wasting more time on $13 modem, can anyone recommend a PCI modem that DOES work on a SuSE 9.0 system, even if requiring a driver compile? Kernel version is 2.4.21-166, out of the package.
3. I have never used an external modem under Linux. Does anyone have any thoughts on what goes and what does not for external modems?

N.B. ISDN, ADSL are non-goers - no BEZEQ infrastructure for either in my neck of the woods.

Regards,

Daniel (reluctantly communicating under Windows).