If it's not source it's not software (www.gnu.org)

> 3. I have never used an external modem under Linux. Does anyone have
> any  thoughts on what goes and what does not for external modems?

Any external modem I've seen is a modem (and not a soft modem). As such
it can recive commands through the serial interface (usually AT commands).

It's a piece of cake to configure them under Linux. I have always used them
until I started my ADSL subscription.

They are pricy with respect to the junk called "modem" these days.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  http://www.actcom.co.il/~oron

#define NULL 0           /* silly thing is, we don't even use this */
        --Larry Wall in perl.c from the perl source code