Oded Arbel wrote:

On Friday 26 March 2004 20:29, Noam Meltzer wrote:

2. AFS looks very secure by basic design, but it's too much for my
network. I won't go the specific details here, but security costs in
comfortability. AFS design is for networks that are not residing on the
same phsycial location, and is not comfortable for users.

I don't understand why you say its not comfortable to users. once the system is set up, users shouldn't be required to do anything except access the correct files paths.

As I understood from the AFS faq, users need to login to the local machine, and then they need to login to the AFS, get a "ticket" for their current session, and then they're process (and its childs) will have permissions to the AFS. This is not automatic? what will happen in crons? for crons there's a special command to edit crons for AFS. But that's still not enough. I have many automatic systems that work all the time, send jobs from one place to another, and it just a source for trouble.
Another problem is that I'll need to make symlinks to the standards places that files/programs used to reside. This is not a trivial task in my network, and it has a lot of overhead too.
Another problem is that my users don't have homedirs on their local machines. The homedirs resides only on the NFS. It will be very complicated to make it work seemlessly for them.
There's more problems, but I don't really feel like frustrating my self again by thinking of it now :)

3. There are other distributed filesystems (codafs, intermezzo) that are
inspired by AFS, but works only on linux.

Not sure about intermezzo, but coda definitely has both client and server for a range of operating systems. I personally know of a solaris, FreeBSD and Windows version (the later one being based on cygwin). check the codafs web site - they have packages for everything.
Also - I can't say that Coda is inspired by AFS, unless when you say "inspired" you mean something along the lines of "AFS sucks, we can do better" ;-)

Maybe I'm wrong, but as I recall, that what was written on codafs webpage. That they were inspired by AFS design.
The implementations I need are mainly solaris and hp/ux, but I have some more isoteric systems that need support.
FreeBSD is nice, but windows... <cough>

Noam