I wonder.
As far as I know, AFS is no longer supported by IBM, hence, you could use
OpenAFS, for better and worse, or you could search for another alternative.
Not reading this whole thread, I could suggest, that as far as I know, you can
find / install CodaFS clients/servers for almost any OS you can think of. I
know it can be used for Linux, and I know you can use it for Win32
architectures, and as far as I know, you could use it for other Unices too,
Solaris and HPUX.
This is one approach to the problem. Assuming security is not your main goal,
does finding the cause of the IO hangs using NFS won't be easier then
changing the whole network FS layout? Assuming you do not search for the
cause of the hangs, how can you be sure you won't have the same problems
using any other network FS?
I cant supply a conclusive answer, but I can suggest finding the cause of the
hangs might serve you better then replacing the network FS layout.

Ez.