(i'm responding only because i didn't see the more qualified people
 respond to this yet)

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I got a chance to install Linux on my office desktop (next to Windows
> XP, for now).
> I'd like to install something which will impress them the most with
> stability and usability,
> and mostly as a developer station.
>
> I expect to need it for:
> 1. Develop in Java (we already have an Eclipse-based full environment)
> 2. Develop in C++ (right now development is done on VC++ and only builds
> are done on
> Linux/Solaris/AIX)
> 3. Access CVS (through the Eclipse CVS plugin is the best GUI for this,
> so it might
> not be necessary to have a separate tool)
> 3. Access Exchange 2003 server (I already asked Ximian for a price offer
> for their connector
> to use with Evolution)
> 4. Share disks with other UN*X and windows (NFS, Samba and remote CIFS
> mounts of course)
> 5. Maybe share user database (LDAP?)
>
> Our sys admin is not quite cooperative on this front, so there are
> limitations on what exactly
> can be done.
>
> We already have CD's of RH 8 and RH9 at the office. We expect to see
> both of them at customer
> sites.

from stability point of view, you should install RH 9.0 - but it's a "dead
goat" because of redhat's recent moves.

i got my PC installed with fedora (fedora core I - with the patches that
were available from redhat at the time). i use it for java development
(althought i don't use an IDE yet...) and it works mostly stable. it's
overloaded since i run on it something that was planned to be run on 3-4
different machines, but it did not crash on me yet.

it's open-office seems to be the version that doesn't support hebrew
(althought i think it should - i think it's version 1.1.0 or soemthing
similar - perhaps this is just a fonts problem?), but it shows the
english documents written inside the company quite ok (until there are
drawings in the documents - that's where it 'squashes' the drawing onto
the text). i use mozilla for surfing, since i was too lazy to get a
different browser there.

since the machine has a pentium 4 with hyper-threading, i installed an SMP
kernel and it now runs with '2 CPUs' - does windows XP does this
out of the box, by the way? (i don't know since i didn't check).

i was somewhat skeptic about finding RPMs for redora, or running
commercial applications - but at least some things seem to work (such as
vmware). i didn't yet manage to get the Java IDE (Idea's IntelliJ) running
on it - thought i didn't try realy hard.

i don't use any C++ IDE either - by my room-mate, which also runs fedora
on his desktop, runs both IntelliJ (Java) and anjuta (C/C++) on his fedora
with no noticeable problems.

> I should also be careful not to setup something too shaky if I want to
> convicne them to switch the
> entire office to Linux desktops.

why do you want to do that? people should stick with what gives them their
pleasure - unless this is an "everyone must have the same platform" kind
of office.

as for the issue of developing on windows and deploying on Unix - i've
seen that somewhere, and that was part of what kept me away from that
place...

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,