On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 01:45:55PM -0400, Martha H Greenberg wrote:

> My new job has huge piles of old hardware (mostly pc) which I need to
> evaulate and then dispose of what we don't want.
>
> Can anyone recommend:
>
> 1) A company that buys old PCs and monitors?  Or a tzedakah that would
> take them?  Failing that, someone we can pay to come and dispose of them
> safely?

I know YAD-SARAH used to. I don't have a contact there, I volunteered
there a few times assembling PCs from donated parts some years ago.
I also know there are several list members (me included) that would
love to buy specific parts if they are usable and not too old (that is,
anything less than about 7 years old, at least for me). This will be,
of course, much more work for you, but much more valuable, as I have
a feeling the only commercial body you can do business with is a
company that buys it for the metal.

> 2) A good place to buy machine room accessories (anything from machine
> room tables/racks to cable ties)?

I never bought such things directly, others did it for me. If noone
else here has opinions on this, I can find some.

> 3) A good FAT/NTFS disk/file recovery program?

I guess there are quite many. I worked with ntfsundelete from the
linux-ntfs project, and managed to rescue some files, but not all.
A tool I recently saw, that seems promising, is filesystem-agnostic -
it works like 'file', with magic numbers. It's called 'Magic Rescue'.

> 4) A good PC hardware testing program (preferally self-booting)?

I know there are a few, but I never used one. I only run memtest86 for
a few hours or days, and zcav to read the disk(s) (getting a speed
measurment as well). I think there are a few CDs/floppies that have
both. Search google for something like 'bootable CD memtest86'.

memtest users will be interested to know there is a fork called
memtest86plus, which works on newer chipsets (well, at least one
machine which did not work with memtest86 3.0 did work with it).

> Martha Greenberg
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I guess your new job isn't in MIT, or you wouldn't send this to here.
Is it so?

> PS - I have long thought that we need an Israeli system/network admin
> list.  I'd love to have a place to ask these sort of questions, or other
> admin questions not relating to Linux.  Is anyone else interested?

I know this isn't too politically-correct, but unless it's getting
frequent, posting here is a good bet. For at least some of your questions
there are also forums in whatsup.co.il, but I think many people read only
linux-il (and many read only whatsup, OTOH).
--
Didi