You can read from NTFS but there are still problems writing ti it.
Look at : http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/status.html#ntfsdriver

I wanted to do that myself in my dual-boot machine (that has WinXP) but then I've read
the following warning at Wine User Guide [
http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-user/index  ] , and didn't want to lose my files

  --> 5.5.8. Installing Wine Using An Existing Windows Partition As Base:
  --> http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-user/config-drive-main#CONFIG-WITH-WINDOWS
[quote]
We HIGHLY DISCOURAGE people from directly using a Windows partition with write access
as a base for Wine!!  (some programs, notably Explorer, corrupt large parts of the
Windows partition in case of an incorrect setup; you've  been warned). Not to mention
that NTFS write support in Linux is still very experimental and dangerous (in case
you're  using an NT-based Windows version using the NTFS file system). Thus we advise
you to go the Unix directory way.
[/quote]

Oren Maurer
meorero

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
running wine using a read-only windows directory

I saw that wine can run on an installed windows directory instead of a
fake one. I tried to make it run using my installation of windows XP,
it started up fine and then died with an error that it can't write to
C:\Windows. Is it possible to make it run using a read only windows
directory but to write to a local one all its settings?