If you have a Windows on your computer then you should be able to plug its
NTFS driver into linux. Forgot what's the name of the project which makes this
possible but you know the drill (google). It was published a few months ago.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

You can read from NTFS but there are still problems writing ti it. Look at : http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/status.html#ntfsdriver

I wanted to do that myself in my dual-boot machine (that has WinXP) but then I've read the following warning at Wine User Guide [ http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-user/index ] , and didn't want to lose my files ...

--> 5.5.8. Installing Wine Using An Existing Windows Partition As Base: --> http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-user/config-drive-main#CONFIG-WITH-WINDOWS
[quote]
We HIGHLY DISCOURAGE people from directly using a Windows partition with write access as a base for Wine!! (some programs, notably Explorer, corrupt large parts of the Windows partition in case of an incorrect setup; you've been warned). Not to mention that NTFS write support in Linux is still very experimental and dangerous (in case you're using an NT-based Windows version using the NTFS file system). Thus we advise you to go the Unix directory way.
[/quote]

Oren Maurer meorero

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
running wine using a read-only windows directory

I saw that wine can run on an installed windows directory instead of a
fake one. I tried to make it run using my installation of windows XP,
it started up fine and then died with an error that it can't write to
C:\Windows. Is it possible to make it run using a read only windows
directory but to write to a local one all its settings?

---------- Your email is protected by Mailshell ---------- To block spam or change delivery options: http://www.mailshell.com/control.html?a=blshp8b9gc0rxhgk_srox_llfpptvypmvy7j

Wouldn't you rather have amos-sha.com as your personal domain? http://rd.mailshell.com/ad465
Earn up to $3 for each of your friends who signs up with Mailshell! http://rd.mailshell.com/sp5