I was just asked to install apache, ssh etc. on a red-hat 6.2 system. I
started working on it, but it seems a real pain since it doesn't seem
to be supported and compiling from source requires me to get quite a
few packages to compile.

Anyway, is it possible to upgrade it in place to red-hat 7/9/fc or to
debian (debating between them since I already know debian and I don't
think anyone using the computer knows red-hat, the root password seems
to have be unknown for about 5 years, had to use init=/bin/sh to delete
it and make a new one ;-) or should I just make a clean install over it
(I'm not really sure what would take more work).

I am tending toward the upgrade since its was partitioned rather
strangely with root at 2.5 GB, /boot 1.5 GB and /home at 18 GB (home is
ok, but why does boot need 1.5 GB ?)

Thanks