On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Micha Feigin wrote:

> I was just asked to install apache, ssh etc. on a red-hat 6.2 system. I
> started working on it, but it seems a real pain since it doesn't seem
> to be supported and compiling from source requires me to get quite a
> few packages to compile.
>
> Anyway, is it possible to upgrade it in place to red-hat 7/9/fc or to
> debian (debating between them since I already know debian and I don't
> think anyone using the computer knows red-hat, the root password seems
> to have be unknown for about 5 years, had to use init=/bin/sh to delete
> it and make a new one ;-) or should I just make a clean install over it
> (I'm not really sure what would take more work).
>
> I am tending toward the upgrade since its was partitioned rather
> strangely with root at 2.5 GB, /boot 1.5 GB and /home at 18 GB (home is
> ok, but why does boot need 1.5 GB ?)
>
> Thanks

I suggest you found out what the system is currently used for.

Red Hat 6.2 is a distribution several prorietary software vendors got
stuck with for quite some time. You may find yourself upgrading the
system, and them realizing that the old license is no longer valid.

Even if the license is still valid, you may find yourself unable to
install the good (?) old software, and you will have to go back and
install RH6.2.

Orna.
--
Orna Agmon http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~ladypine/