Meir Kriheli wrote:

The linuxrc written for linBrew (which detects and mounts the CD) runs
init after mounting.

The parmeter passed to the kernel specifies that linuxrc is used as init.

Maybe the can give you a hint to the solution:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/linbrew/lnbr_cd/share/linuxrc?rev=1.2&view=auto

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/linbrew/lnbr_cd/share/syslinux.cfg?rev=1.2&view=auto

But that means that you cannot override the "init=" to specify another init.

If I may make a suggestion, remove the "init=" from the boot menu. Replace the entire "else" clause of the last if (the one where you say you found the linbrew CD) with a code to extract the major/minor device numbers of the linbrew CD, echo that into /proc/sys/kernel/real_root_dev, and exit normally. The kernel will mount, pivot_root and run init for you. That is the classic way linuxrc is built.

For reasons of complexity, I do not have the option of letting the kernel mount the final root device on my behalf. I still don't want to lose the possibility of passing "init=" as a kernel boot param, and so the question above.

            Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.