That looks OK. I asked about the /boot location because it must be completely below the 1023 track limit (about 8.4Gb). With only 6Gb you're OK. (BTW, I also have an ancient system with a 6Gb drive which checks out OK but plays up similar to what you describe, but under Win.)

My technician pal told me that those symptoms may have nothing to do with the disk. They may be due to an IDE controller/motherboard problem. So the next thing is to hook up the drive to the secondary ide port and run bios/autodetect. Before you do, get the system up somehow (init 1 is enough), copy /etc/fstab to something else and change all the /dev/hda's to /dev/hdb's.

Other questions: Do you have a slaved CD? What about master/slave/don't care jumpers on both the HD and the CD? If you disconnect the CD, does it help?

Haggai Eran wrote:
It is pentium I. The disk is 6 GB. I'm not sure about the track limit. The /boot partition is /dev/hda1, and its about 50MB.
I'm not sure how relevant this is however. Lilo boots fine. It just does a segmentation fault every now and then, and freezes sometimes.