-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Debian Reference Card Hebrew translation
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:10:07 +0000
From: W. Borgert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Lior Kaplan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 01:41:05AM +0300, Lior Kaplan wrote:
> >Waiting to hear how it goes.
>
> ATM, it does not work.  In latin8/iso-8859-8 encoding, I get
> an error immediately from xsltproc, if I use utf-8 encoding
> I get an error somewhere in the LaTeX processing.  If you
> have information about the "best" values for 'inputenc',
> 'fontenc' etc. for LaTeX in Hebrew, please forward this to
> me.  We will see.

Hebrew support works by translating Hebrew chars to some macros for
internal representation and later on converting those to Hebrew chars of
the relevant Hebrew font in an output encoding, so it should basically
have no problem with input encoding. In practice UTF-8 should work well
with current sarge packages, IIRC.

But then there's another problem. LaTeX uses explicit bidirectional
Hebrew, whereas unicode and the rest of the world use implicit bidi
algorithm (see RFC1556 for those names).

Practically it means that Hebrew words in English text or vice-versa
have to be wrapped inside a special macro.

I have no idea what is required for Arabic, Farsi and other bidi
Languages, though.

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+