> > I have found, the hard way, that there are neither /dev/hdc* nor
> > /dev/cdrom in my ThinkPad R40e laptop Debian/testing/non-US/main
> > installation.

[snip]
> > I did find that there is something called udev, which was supposed to
> > automatically create the device files when CD-ROM is recognized.
> > The CD-ROM device was recognized (there are the appropriate dmesg
> > messages, and there are both /proc/ide/ide0/hda and /proc/ide/ide1/hdc
> > directories, whose "files" inside them have the information
> > corresponding to correctly-identified hard drive and CD-ROM
> > respectively).

Do you have udev installed? And what about devfsd? These two conflict each
other. I think devfs is depricated anyway, but I'm not sure.

[snip]
> > What should I check for now?
> > I do not want to manually create /dev/hdc!!!
> >
> >                                               --- Omer

You shouldn't create device files manually with udev or devfs because the
files will be erased on the next boot.

If you have udev installed, check /sys to see if the cdrom appears there
(try /sys/bus/ide).

--

Haggai Eran
[EMAIL PROTECTED]