Another potentially cruel tactic to deal with personal acquaintances,
who turned into spammers - is to call their bank and tell them that they
may be having business and/or financial difficulties.

This is based upon the heuristic that respectable businesses sometimes
become spammers when they run into problems in their business.

This is my own contribution to the spam sub-thread of the general
recurrring thread about dealing with off-topic messages (you know, the
thread which starts with a single off-topic message and continues with
arguments whether the message is off-topic or not, legitimate or not,
people loudly unsubscribing, all the works).

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 11:29, Herouth Maoz wrote:
> Quoting Nadav Har'El <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>

> > I got the same spam, and believe me, I also never registered to this
> > "software.co.il" mailing list. I never even heard of this company before
> > (and now that I heard of it through spam, I'll make sure never to use
> > it...).
> >
> > Moreover, this spam got filtered by Vipul's Razor. This usually means that
> > many people got the same email, and reported it as being spam (though, I
> > have to admit, lately Vipul's Razor has been acting up for me, and reporting
> > some innocent email as being spam).
>
> I reported it to spamcop, and I will do so for every copy of that newsletter
> that I receive until Mr. Lieberman opts me out manually the same way he "opted
> me in".
>
> When I got it, the fact that I did not subscribe for it, and the fact that you
> have to opt out already marked it as a spam. Lieberman's name being familiar
> me, I decided to cut him some slack and try the "unsubscribe" button at the
> bottom. This led me to the home page of software.co.il, with no obvious link
> unsubscription.
>
> That clinched it. It is spam-spam-spam-spam. The fact that it was also relayed
> through a an unfamiliar relay (i.e. not through any Israeli ISP) also marked
> it
> as spam.
>
> I am a soft hearted person so I won't send copies of the linux kernel source,
> uncompressed, to Mr. Lieberman's known e-mail addresses. But he certainly
> deserves it.
                                            --- Omer

I may be affiliated in any way.