On Sunday 26 December 2004 17:09, Amit Roseberger wrote:
> Hi All.
> I am trying to build a Linux based (haven't yet decided on the exact
> distro/s) cluster for testing a complicated server side application.
> Building the cluster is not my problem though...
> What I need is an idea/software (open source or closed) that'll help me
> keep this cluster "sterile".
>
> When I say "sterile", I mean a software that'll help me keep/implement a
> few "states" in my cluster so that I could "revert" from one state to
> another relatively easy (in less then a few minuets to do the change).
>
> I guess that I am looking for a more sophisticated/flexible way to
> implement it then simply multi boot a few configurations and a more
> stable/robust method then Virtual Machines (which BTW I am using
> extensively for other needs).
>
> If anyone have an idea - I'll be happy to hear :)
>
> Thx,
> Amit

Amit,
May I suggest PXE Boot? (This is of course due to the lecture I gave in this
issue on Haifux :)

http://haifux.org/lectures/114/
(Slides should be available soon, I already sent them to Orna).

Using Network loaded boot can allow you to manage several boot images, and
switch them quite simply (just reboot the machine). IMHO this solution is
much simpler than custom flash booting mechanisms, easy installation, no
special hardware required, centralized control etc.
All the boot images are located in one server, all the clients in the cluster
boot by pulling the appropriate boot image by TFTP and DHCP.

With fancy DHCP configuration I can imagine you can even change the
configuration in the server, so every machine in the cluster boots from a
specific boot image (via MAC address DHCP or alike).

Hope this was helpful...
Ami