10x,
However there seems to be a problem with windows:
"Windows   - Gambas interpreter and compiler now compiles on CygWin but
not components. This problem is under investigation. Note that programs
without GUI can work. "

kind of defeates the point. Anyway, I can use VB itself if I wanted too
but
its again going into details that these particular students can do
without
and in fact they'd have trouble to cope with most programming languages
at this time.
The problem with this particular project is that it needs to become
viable in a semester to live so they need to concentrate on sql
queries and quick ways to retrieve them.

An idea, can I compile rekall on cygwin? and not be in violation of
its license when I'll use it in the gov offices without paying the
company?
although it won't be lean anymore. a browser can work on any gov
issued backward hardware and hence the web site solution is
more appealing and decentralized for the offices counterparts
all over the country and requires less handling (again the funding
problem).