On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 06:04:35PM +0200, Shoshannah Forbes wrote:

> Since this topic came up anyway: I know gnome allows different users to
> have different screen resolution settings (on the same machine).
>
> Anybody know if there is a way to set that independently of gnome?

The only place I can think such a feature can be sanely implemented is
by the *DM . This is because each *DM login is to a newly-created X
session.  Naturally gnome/kde/whatever is independent of the DM you
use (if you use one at all).

You can also pass explicit server arguments if you run xinit/startx .

> The
> xorg.conf file seems rather system-wide,  which is a strange thing for
> a multi-user system.

The X server typically controls a unique local resource. For performance
reasons it has to run as root and thus has the ability to crash the
system. You can't simply allow non-root to control its configuration:
this can create an easy DoS.

That said, a console user[1] can pass an arbitrary X parameter to the X
server, including the path to an alternative config file.

[1] The default configuration is that only root can run X. A local
    console user can also run it through Xwrapper. On my system I have
    /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config in which:

      allowed_users=console
      nice_value=-10

   I don't know if this file is Debian-specific.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | New signature for new address and  |  VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | new homepage                       | a Mutt's