Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:

Yonah Russ wrote:

I wouldn't say it's identical- it aims to be identical but to rebuild all the packages without having the exact same build environment is not going to give you the same packages. For the most part, though, I would say that you're right- chances are you won't notice the difference.

Since Centos / RHEL include a development envrionment and I *hope* they self host the thing, you might as well have the same build environment as well, but I admi I don't really know.

I can't tell you for sure either but a similar project, TAO Linux - http://taolinux.org/?q=node/view/14, seems to have had problems. I quote:

"So, while I have gone to great lengths to parallel RHEL3 as closely as possible, Tao Linux is by no means equivalent. It is impossible (or at least very hard) to know the exact toolchain and libraries present when the original RPMs were built; my 'comparerpms.sh' script can only tell me how close individual RPMs are; so I know fairly certainly just how close (or far off)"

It seems the only way to know if the build environments match is to compare all the rpms that come out of the build process. In the end, I admit- your guess is as good as mine.
yonah

Gilad