On 5/1/05, Tzafrir Cohen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
However fdisk can't tell whwere the filesystem ends. It is not its job.
parted, OTOH, insists on doing too much: not only chaniging the
partition size, but also messing with the filesystem resizing. What I
would like is a simple tool to "reduce the partittion to the limits of
the filesystem".

I though that parted provides an easier, sort-of-integrated, front
end to the various resize*fs so it passes the right arguments to
the filesystem resizing program to fit to the new partition size (in
addition to messing with the partition table at the right point).

Anyway - it's too late for me - the resize went half-well. The filesystem
became corrupted. A "reiserfsck --rebuild-tree" saved most of the disk
and the old Debian seems to boot fine, but not my home directory.

I'm writing this message through the Ubuntu installation I put on the new
partition.

Thanks,

--Amos