I've installed moin moin several times but agree with Shlomi's gut feeling towards mediawiki and Amit's focus on content.
Being a python fan does not mean we're zealots and must run all of our programs on our favorite programming language (hmm ... python kernel??)
I've chosen mambo and worpress over plone and zope and I've chosen bash many times for itty bitty stuff..
So I believe the best support for hebrew and content focus should set the scales.
The way I see it the biggest problem (which I share as well) developing a python Israeli community is the lack of time or for some people - interest to participate and volunteer.
I agree building a space for this community to grow is importent (If you build it they will come...) but the way I see it is that enough people are set to participate regularly in a community it will create itself.
kudos for the initiative - there was one in the past where several linux-il'ers participated in a meeting in Azrieli -
(moshez, me, Moran, Adi Stav ,Eitan Sheffer and alot of  a variant people working on python and zope in totally different areas.)
Michael Bernstein visited and blogged it -
http://www.michaelbernstein.com/weblog/archive/2002_03_23a/view
It was kinda cool although it was pretty much split even between zopers and pure pythoneers...
anyway I don't think we should force anything into being and I'm not sure I have the time to even attend in anything let alone lead or volunteer but if the problem is configuring moin-moin I could probably help - although mediawiki would be my pick.
Lior.

On 5/20/05, Shlomi Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Friday 20 May 2005 13:19, you wrote:
> Shlomi Fish wrote:
> >What's an IPIGgie?
>
> Sorry for inventing acronyms on you without giving enough clues.
>
> PIGgies is a nickname for (one) common name convention for local
> Python-Interest-Groups.
> It's generally *PIG* with extra letters added to refer to your locality.

OK.

> >>* python_mod-enabled Apache server would be best.
> >>* A wiki (preferably MoinMoin).
> >>* Support for posting/forum-management
> >>* Hebrew.
> >
> >Bleh... why not simply static HTML? Or at most a MediaWiki? MoinMoin is a
> > bit hard to set up, and I like TWiki (which is very hard to set up and
> > has awful code and some idionsyncracies), and MediaWiki (which is
> > incredibly easy to set up, with excellent i18n, and lots of nice
> > features) much better. I don't suppose it's necessary for a Python site
> > to be pure-Python, right? With some
>
> In fact I've done quite a lot of static HTML (using Emacs) in my days
> (even a bit of cgi using python), but was superseded by more "modern"
> fashions.

Well, you don't need server-generated HTML to have a common look and feel, a
navigation menu, etc. You can do it by generating the site from templates as
I do in my Latemp-based sites:

http://web-cpan.berlios.de/latemp/examples/

And other do using plain Web Meta Language, Template-Toolkit, HTML-Template, a
custom Perl/Python/whatever CMS for static HTML, etc.

If you don't need comments, a web-interface to modify the content, or other
changes that users of your site can do, then static HTML is definetely an
option. It's faster and safer than server-side generated HTML, and sometimes
is the right option, possibly with some isolated CGI scripts here and there.

> Personally I would rather people concentrate on contents than shiny
> widgets, but we should appeal to the larger community, which seem to
> include many young enthusiastic people that care about graphic design
> and website technology (much more than I do, at least).

We can have great content along with a lot of shiny pages. CSS and possibly
some bits of _javascript_ and DOM are the way to go here.

>  Note that as opposed to many other new technologies, I do support Wiki
> - and that's because it makes the authors focus on contents, and leaves
> the 'programming type' work to the system/site maintainer.

OK.

>  About python technology (e.g. MoinMoin) - as I said, I completely agree
> that there's no need to make the site pure-python.

Good.

> But - I believe it would be in everyone's interest if in time we pass as
> much as possible of the site's (co-)management tasks to "real python
> enthusiasts".
>  By definition, there's a single common denominator to these people -
> they like Python.
> If we want such people to volonteer, we should have as much python
> technology enabled as possible (e.g. - site co-maintainers might wish to
> configure & extend the wiki engine - in MoinMoin that's naturally done
> using python).
> I believe that this is well worth the extra setup trouble.

Right. But you can also extend MediaWiki by calling a Python script which will
spit its output. MoinMoin is somewhat painful to install, and I like its look
and feel much less than MediaWiki's. There's also Kwiki which is a highly
extensible and modular wiki written in Perl, but its main problem is that its
default syntax is incredibly lame and limiting. Maybe it has a plug-in for a
subset (or the whole) of the MediaWiki syntax.

> >  DNS help I can setup python.iglu.org.il. or python.linux.org.il , or
> >python.hackers.org.il on eskimo.
>
>  That would be nice.
>  But I'd rather you considered a python-based wiki after all.

If someone volunteers to install MoinMoin or whatever and administer it, I'll
gladly give him an under-privileged account. However, this probably has to be
done after the upgrade to Sarge.

>   I know some people who successfuly set up a MoinMoin wiki (reasonable
> hebrew support) on our intranet.
>  I'll talk to them on Sunday, but I'm willing to help setting this up
> myself if you have any trouble.

OK.

> >Note that I can do all that once eskimo (= iglu.org.il) is upgraded to
> > Sarge. Until then while it's still on Woody it would be quite
> > problematic.
> >
> >Another note is that unless someone volunteers to code the site, and show
> > me some stuff, I'd rather not use Python for that.
>
> As I said - fine by me.
> If you setup a site, and no one else chips in I might provide some
> (static) contents (sigh... more 3am work - I see it coming...)

OK.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Homepage:         http://www.shlomifish.org/

Tcl is LISP on drugs. Using strings instead of S-expressions for closures
is Evil with one of those gigantic E's you can find at the beginning of
paragraphs.