Michael Vasiliev wrote:

What happened to the good old practice of cleaning up the mess when you leave?
Not my job (TM) ?
I may have forgotten. I don't remember. It was a VERY long time ago. I'm fairly sure I did not think it possible that such a thing would happen.

Today, by a sequence of coincidences which I would rather not go into, I
found out a disturbing piece of news. For over four and a half years
now, the IGLU mailing list has been faithfully sending each and every
email to my old work place address. That's right, a copy of each and
every question, hate mail, flame and smart alec piece of advice has been
sent to an email address that dutifully bounced it right back. In over
four and a half years, that is over three thousands bits of useless
email, each followed by a useless bounce.
It is dutifully done it's job. Blaming the mistake on the system that never violated any rule it was based on will get you nowhere. Computers don't do what you want them to do, they do what you _tell_ them to do.
I don't think I understood what you were trying to say here, but so be it.

Because despite having each and every email bounce, the mailing list
software for Linux-IL did NOTHING. Not unsubscribe the old address,

Want me to prove that I could unsubscribe just about anyone with a handful of bounces if that feature was in place?
Actually, yes, I would love to. Here is the procedure to use in case of bounces, let me know how you do it: Each mail is sent out with an envelop sender that identifies the list member the email was sent to. If an email bounces, we wait for several days. After several days we send out an email saying "your mail has been bouncing, here are the email numbers you have missed" plus instructions how to get them from the mailing list archives. If that email bounces as well, it waits several more days and send out an email saying "This is a probe, if it bounces we will unsubscribe you". If that bounces, we send out a final email saying "You have been unsubscribed due to bounces".

Now, being as it is that you show an inexplicable tendency to assume that whenever I describe a procedure that needs to be done, that I'm going to do it the most expensive way imaginable, I'll just clarify that all you have to do in order to get this wonderful procedure is to switch your mailing list management program to ezmlm. No manual work after that.

If you still feel that this procedure is not enough, do let me know and I'll set up a test mailing list so you can put your money where your mouth is.

A while back I suggested we upgrade the mailing list software the runs
Linux-il. Then it was due to the annoying "request confirmation" header
that the current software couldn't be told to remove. I'm now wondering
whether I should re-offer this service.

The free usage of the word "we" would trigger some alarms in my mind,

Ok, then I'll clarify to put your mind at ease.

*I* suggested that *I* will do all the necessary arrangements to set up the list on an alternate server (keeping two of the list's three addresses, and if the appropriate admins would help, the third as well). All *I* needed in order to do it was the list subscribers and an approval.

At the time, I think it was Eli who said it was his honor to keep the service running on Huji, and he would rather not. It can thus be said that *we* did not perform the upgrade. *I* am deleting the rest of the flame as *I* believe that even *you* will agree it was misdirected.

I am sorry, but in that case I personally have a natural trouble to believe that you are serious when offering this service for free.

The nice thing about competition is that you always stand the chance of someone finding a cheaper way to do it then you, and then offer the service at a lower price than you find profitable.

No offense, but it is too generous an offer, to say the least.

Well, I try to be good for my word. If anyone here has contradicting experience with *me*, do let me know. What do you base your distrust on?

In the mean while, please unsubscribe sun kruchit gtek dot co nekuda il
from this list.
Can't, sorry

No need any more. I went through the rather awkward procedure (when not having as direct an access as one usually does) of unsubscribing the relevant address.

Not to mention that the fact you're posting the request here (for the archive?), obfuscating the address so harvesters (hopefully) can't read it and not mailing the list owner directly puzzles me.

Actually, it's a good improvement suggestion you've got there. Why not publish the list's administrative contact somewhere? The obfuscation is because, as should be apparent from the content of the message, the email address again has a live person reading it.

I will, however, relay your request if you wish.
Like I said above, no need, thanks.

         Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh