Matan Ziv-Av wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jun 2005, Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:
>
>> It's sort of funny in a way that it runs Linux - think for example how
>> many Israeli high ranking Microsoft execs connect to the internet using
>> this Bezeq provided Linux box and don't even realise it... :-)
>

> I guess they would actually be happy, if they knew. The modem is
> distributed in violation of the GPL. There is no mention of the
> GPL, Linux or Busybox, even though binaries of Linux and Busybox are
> included. There is also no source included, and no written offer to
> provide the source.

I agree that Bezeq is violating the GPL with their distribution of the
router. Note that it is Bezeq, not ECI - you get the modem from them. I
have already given the matter some thought as part of Hamamor activities.

I was planning to make a background check to see if ECI supplies the
GPLed parts source code somehow (if so it will still be a violation, but
not a very "interesting" one).

If they don't then this is something that we should approach very very
carefully. Accusing a major corp with GPL violation (even though it's
true) should not be done lightly.

For example, to have a standaing in court, we actually need to find
someone with code in the GPLed parts of that product - anyone here has
code in the kernel/busybox/glibc?

Is anyone able to locate on ECI web site any refernce to the GPL
components source code?

Gilad