On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 09:54:27AM +0300, Shlomo Solomon wrote:
> Sorry to be a NUDNIK, but I received no replies and I find it hard to believe
> that nobody on the list has used a bluetooth dongle. I know that any
> standards compliant dongle should work, but before I buy, I really would
> prefer some first hand info, especially concerning models available in Israel
> (or if necessary what to ask a friend to bring from abroad). So I'll repeat
> my questions again:
>

> > 1 - Is it worth trying?

No.

> > 2 - Does anyone have hands-on experience?

No. There are three "bands" that bluetooth uses. The first is for "local"
communication such as between your headset and a phone on your belt.
Range is about one meter. This band is legal in Israel.

The next two bands, designed for connection to you phone and a computer
with a 2-3 meter range and all the computers in a room, are not legal
to use, import or sell in Israel.

Another problem is that bluetooth was designed like Sendmail. The concept
of people using it to attack your system, steal bandwidth for kidde porn
and spam, etc was not in the designer's minds. There is no security
in current bluetooth implementations.

Like Sendmail, the world has moved on and bluetooth with encryption and
validation is coming. But it will not be soon and it will not be
backward compatible. You will be able to use your current bluetooth
device with it, but without the security.

There was a problem with one particular cell phone/pocket PC combo
that if you had bluetooth turned on, it would become infected with
a virus if an infected phone came within range. You can look it up,
this is not a fake or FUD.

For example if a phone was trurned on in a store window to attract
customers with pretty pictures on the screen and a virused on walked
but, it would be come infected and infect any that walked by.

> > 3 - What Bluetooth dongle do you reccomend with good Linux support?

None.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (077)-424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838