Amos Shapira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My workplace desktop is Debian testing, I try to keep it
> up to date.
> Last week or so gcc 4.0.1 and friends (g++, cpp etc) turned up
> and wanted to replace good old 3.x.
>
> I wonder if anyone has experience with these packages - are
> they reliable? Do they produce good code? Should I upgrade?
>
> I do most of my development with Java so it's not totally
> critical, but I wouldn't want to get stuck on this if someone
> will wanr me of any dangers about it.

You will find that some programs that compiled with earlier gccs do not
compile any more. The fixes are simple, but if you don't care about gcc
4, you probably don't want the mess, however small it is.

Be WARNED, gcc 3.3- and gcc 3.4+ do not generate binary compatible C++
code. So a library/program compiled with g++ 3.3 cannot use a
program/library compiled with g++ 4.0

This is the source of the C++ transition that Debian now undergoes.

I have no idea about the implications of gcc 4 for Java code. Unless you
use gcj, probably none.

I've switched my system (testing) to gcc 4 and had no problems with it.

You can always use alternatives to keep gcc 3.3 as your default.

Baruch