Peter wrote:

Compatibilty with the clients' documents is a one of the major issues. For people who are painfully aware of compatibility problems between different versions of MS-Word, OpenOffice may not seem very attractive. This isn't just a matter of cost, it's also a matter of the time spent to give it a proper test.

Imho you got this wrong:
I'm telling it as they tell me.
People who are aware of the incompatibility between MS Office document versions are more likely to try something else in the hope the document will open somehow. And with OO, it does, even if the formatting is ****d.
The document I receive is only one part. The bigger part is the document I need to send back to the client. Will it look the same on the client's machine?

Peter

--
Thanks,
Uri