On 10/8/05, Uri Even-Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ilya Konstantinov wrote:
> > If software freedom is meaningless to you, 95% of the time non-free
> > software gives you higher value (assuming you have the money :)
>
> I think that's why most people prefer Windows, MS Office and other
> non-free softwares.  Most people don't care about software freedom, they

Most home users care about their own money - once they won't be
able to steal MS products they will start thinking about ways to save
on the price of an MS Office license.

See Adobe Acrobat - the reader is free and everybody installs it (including
me on my Linux), the writer is expensive (and generally considered to have
an awful interface) and only professionals buy it and even there I saw
companies too cheap to upgrade to the latest version when not absoluetly
necessary.

> care about ease of use and performance.  If a non-free software is
> easier to use or has more features, people will use it.  It's the same

Photoshop is considered to have a better interface and maybe more features
than The Gimp and still there is demand for The Gimp on Windows by
people who don't want to steal Photoshop nor pay for its license.

> with any product, not only software.  People care about functionality,
> ease of use and price.  Freedom is not an issue.

Now you slipped in "the price" and, IMHO, turned your argument up side down.
I *agree* with that last sentence but it puts the rest of your arguments in a
different light.

Cheers,

--Amos