Of course hspell supports piping. Just try. It even has an ispell-like pipe
interface for programs, which is used by lyx, geresh, and the little demo script
wassist.cs.technion.ac.il/~danken/cgi-bin/hspell.color.cgi

That cgi is written in perl. It pipes the user text into another perl script
that uses hspell to color misspelled words in red. I can let you peek into the
scripts off list, if you want. I have no shred of knowledge in php, but I guess
everything here can be translated to it.

--
Dan Kenigsberg        http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~danken        ICQ 162180901