On 10/30/05, Aaron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to build a custom kernel for debian and as I am building I
> see a ton of scsi drivers, go by.
>
> There is no way I need all these drivers, but how do I determine which
> ones I need?

In addition to Omer's explenation about modules, to answer you question
specifically:

1. Consider why you are compiling your own kernel - debian's
default kernel is supposed to come with extra security patches and to
be tracked by Debian's security team - when you compile your own kernel,
unless you are tracking kernel issues daily and know what you are doing,
you may loose these security enhancements.
2. Install "kernel-package" and use it to create debian packages, these
are then easier to track using debian's package management tools.
3. Read the documentation that comes with the kernel source tree, start
with the "README" file in the root directory, and there are tons of docs under
"Documentation".
4. Run one of "make menuconfig/xconfig/gconfig" or somesuch
in the root of the kernel source tree in order to start an interactive
kernel configuration interface where you can pick which drivers you want.
(make sure that root can start X clients if you use one of the graphic
options, test by running "xlogo" as root).

> I see that usb storage devices are treated as scsi devices, I also have
> one plextor scsi cdrom and two onboard controllers.
>
> I am not sure what else would use scsi, but since I have a good chance
> that the kernel I am compiling now may not boot, I would like the next
> time I do this to remove as much unneeded things as I can.

Why do you think your kernel won't boot? If it contains all the options then it
would usually pick the right driver.

> In fact is there link to some place that lists what extra uneeded stuff
> is put in the vanilla kernel, which I can safely exclude?

It depends mostly on your hardware but also on what you want to do with
your system. Do homework.

Cheers,

--Amos