I have been following this thread with some amusement. Of COURSE the prima-facie reason is US government concern; whether it is justified or not is a matter of curiosity.

I believe that there is possibly another reason - that Checkpoint backed out because it the value of the deal became less attractive with all the hassle and negative publicity.

Backing out was a business reason; it just wasnt worth the trouble. Checkpoint use the open source version of Snort in Interspect and the prospects for the IPS market are not all that promising if you look at the financial results and the multipliers of IPS companies. For example Cisco's IPS business is about 10M out of a 1BN network security business. Outside the US (and Israel) the IPS market is not growing particularly well so future revenue prospects for Sourcefire RNA are well, "ok" but not "amazing".

I can imaging Checkpoint management saying, let's cut our losses and move on.

Danny