Nadav Har'El wrote:

what's really wrong
with that? How is that any different than what happens in any other utility
like phone, cellphone, electricity, water, and so on?

I think the great thing about the internet is specifically that we're *not* billed for volume.  That's separates the internet from everything else on this planet.  I'm fine with different packages for different users, but I always want a decently priced 'unlimited' option.  Consider these uses:

1) smallest scale: skype works because its free and you don't pay per minute
2) medium scale: i can't leave my internet radio playing anymore?
2) large scale: i pay a content provider for online movies... now i have to pay my ISP aswell??

The thing that sets the internet apart is that you're paying a flat-rate fee for a connection to the network.  From there it's up to you if you pay separate content providers for their services.

In South Africa (where I'm from), users are capped after 3GB.  In this case capped means they are put in a pool with every other user in the country who has exceeded the cap, and get unusable below modem-speeds.  The only way around it is to buy another account with another 3GB cap.  It's enforced by our monopolistic telephone company.  The result?  No better speeds, our IT industry is cripped, all that's happening is they are getting more money instead of investing in more bandwidth.

Gadi
--
Gadi Cohen aka Kinslayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> www.wastelands.net
Freelance admin/coding/design HABONIM DROR linux/fantasy enthusiast