On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 20:28 +0300, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
> 2006/5/30, Oded Arbel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Problem: what I want to install eventually requires me to upgrade python
> > from the CentOS version (2.3) to the Fedora Core 4 version (2.4), and
> > due to this it needs to upgrade a python component called
> > python-elementtree, as it requires a specific python ABI version.
>
> Side note (only helps you if you want to bypass official package management):
> Many Python libraries, including python-elementtree, are pure-python
> libraries and should  work unchanged with any python version that they
> support [1]_.

python-elementtree contains a compiled library (so) which is built
against a specific python ABI. Granted - it might work with a more
recent version, but as the RPM requirements are "only 2.x" unlike the
normal "2.x or higher", I'd tend to think that they know what they're
talking about it. I'm loath to fiddle with it, as yum depends on many
packages to work, python-elementtree being one of the more important and
non-optional ones (see: "redhat sucks").

> The only thing that you may call an ABI are the byte-compiled .pyc
> files.

No, see above. you might want to do something like
rpm -ql python-elementtree | grep so
if you don't believe me. I fully appreciate the fact that they are using
compiled binaries for XML parsing - I use the python native XML parsing
and its slow as molasses.

> Some Python libraries (like python-celementtree, note the "c") do wrap
> C code and must be linked to the correct libpython, so you really have
> to get the right package or build from source.

I think we are confusing different different distributions - fedora has
a single package for both items.

> If you don't care about the byte-code files, you can just put
> pure-python libs in /usr/lib/site-python/, where all python versions
> will find it.

The main problem with most of the above suggestions, is you appear to be
recommending that I forgo the use of automatic installation and
dependency tracking and start to administer my system manually in the
spirit of the old "configure;make;make install" days. Problem is - due
to external time constraints I'm trying to phase away from "managing my
computer" and into "using my computer" ;-)

Seriously - I believe that the purpose of automatic software management
system is to make your work easier, not make it harder and/or force you
to disable parts of it.
Currently I've given up and installed Fedora Core 5 on the development
system, basically postponing the frustrating redhat-induced
software-management-deficiency-syndrome stage to a later stage, although
not alleviating it.

--
Oded
::..