Shlomi Loubaton wrote:

2006/7/26, Micha Silver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Mapping software is easy, the problem is that creating map information is
VERY expensive

Seems to me like a legitimate economic model employing open source software.

I didn't say what he's doing is not legit, but I have a feeling that
it's possible to creat a similar project and get this community of map
maintainers to work for something that is really free. The only
problem is to find a web host and people who can set the system up and
maintain it.

..'maintain' being the important word here. I don't think that a service like this requiring constant updating and maintanence can survive without compensation changing hands in some form. The way that a "really-freemap.co.il " could operate would be to ensure volunteers who contribute map data that the site will be a WMS=Web Map Service, allowing download of the data layers that they contribute.

--
Micha Silver
Arava Development Co