Ilya

Fair enough. $30 is about what it should cost you for a Joomla template + another $75 for custom graphics.

I'm going back to work.
Shana Tova!
dL
;-)

Ilya Konstantinov wrote:
Danny L wrote:

IMHO - the Israeli FOSS can learn from their EU / American counterparts. FOSS is growing up. Even a small business will be more comfortable with a professional looking service provider.
Linux.org.il isn't a service provider; Codefidence is, Lingnu is, Matrix is.
FOSS is growing beyond cheesy looking web sites and wearing sandals and t-shirts although I admit I wear shorts 9 months a year ;-)
So when you switch to Joomla, without changing the content, you're suddenly not wearing sandals anymore? Or perhaps you get disposed-of as "yet another blog"? Many people nowadays are captivated by the web presence of Firefox, Banshee and Evince (just to give off a few examples). Naturally, though, those web sites feature unique content and unique design. Copying their success should be done by imitation, but so far the immediate reaction I've seen was to copy their design verbatim.
There are so many good examples - look at Ruby on Rails for one.
RubyOnRails.org is the only site which the Ruby on Rails technology had, so it's top-notch (and uses a unique design and custom code). Linux.org.il has entered a world where Linux already has many sites.
You can have a slick professional looking site with php/libxslt but you'd have to work hard.
I've already done the hard work.
OR - you can use Joomla and for $30
Just curious, what is the $30 for?
you can have a site that looks terrific AND promotes FOSS
I've also done the hard work sitting on GIMP some years ago and coming up with Linux.org.il's graphical design. If you could offer me a new original web design, I'd be delighted to hear. If you want us to use a template design which somebody else uses - well, it might be okay for a blog but not for an official site.

Danny Lieberman

http://www.software.co.il/blog -  Better Software, music and mountain biking
http://www.opensolutions.co.il -  Practical, vendor-neutral solutions to reduce
operational risk