I think that this info can help you:
http://www.rzg.mpg.de/networking/tunnelling.html

  ssh  -l myuserid  -L 7777:work:22  gate  cat -

This means: open an ssh connection as user myuserid to host gate and execute the command cat -. While the session is open, redirect all connections to port 7777 on the local machine to port 22 on machine work.

Now you can use any SSH command (ssh, slogin, scp, sftp) to connect directly to work through the tunnel. For example:

  ssh -p 7777 localhost uname -a

  slogin -p 7777 localhost

  scp -p -P 7777 localhost:data/file1.txt .

  sftp -oPort=7777 localhost