Yes I tried installing each distribution more than once with the same results.

David Suna
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Omer Zak wrote:
On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 08:55 +0200, David Suna wrote:
I just purchased a new machine and I have been having a very frustrating time installing linux on it. I have tried installing ubuntu workstation, ubuntu server and debian etch all without success but with different failures. The machine is a Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz with a Gigabyte 945GZ motherboard. It has 1GB of DDR2 RAM, a 250 GB SATA hard disk and a generic DVD RW combo. I am using the onboard video and LAN with an additional network card in the box. Below are details of the errors that I get. I don't know how to tell if this is a hardware compatibility issue, broken hardware, bad CDs or the phase of the moon. Any help would be much appreciated.

The thing, which I notice is that different distributions have
completely different problems.
Did you try to install the same distribution twice, at different times,
to see if the reported errors get reproduced?  If they are different,
then I would suspect overheating.

Then, try to rule out shorts (such as a fallen screw) and overheating.
Then suspect defective motherboard and/or memory chips.

For general troubleshooting advice: http://www.troubleshooters.com/
                                                     --- Omer