http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q138053/

The title is:
How to Prevent the Winmail.dat File from Being Sent to Internet Users

And here's a short quote:
"The Winmail.dat file contains Exchange Server RTF information for the
message, and may appear to the recipient as a binary file. It is not useful
to non-Exchange Server recipients."

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://the-solomons.net