I have gdm running on the remote machine.
I tried logging in to a different user, not the current loged in user.
I also tried simple ssh -X and tried to start a simple program like gedit.
I got a "cannot open display" error (I made sure the DISPLAY variable is set to my IP).

I don't have firewall on both machines as they are on an internal network not connected to the outside world.

--
Ori Idan