Ola list,

I've decided windows deserved even less space then what it has now on
my 60GB hard disk. Before stating the actual bit shifting procedure
I'd like to have a cloned backup of my HD.

The whole story sums up to 2 things :

1. I'm backing up into a windows based storage. Meaning I can use
either ftp, smb or specific client software that will be installed on
the windows server (cygwin, or dedicated backup server).

2. I have a rather new network hardware, not supported by the vast
majority of the live cds.
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Agere Systems ET-131x PCI-E Ethernet Controller
05:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
Network Connection

The current bootable OS's on the laptop are Ubuntu 6.10 & XP.

First I've tried g4l v0.21 [1] but that completely fails to identify
my network cards. In case you we're wondering - No, it does not
include gcc (not to speak about kernel headers) and it runs 2.6.17.

Then I gave a shot at g4u 2.3beta3 [2], here netbsd managed to
identify my WiFi card, but gave some warning's about "Unable to load
firmware file". I then tried to assign it the proper ssid and get the
device into "up" which didn't work either. I might be doing something
wrong here and would appreciate if someone could tip me on how should
I request dhcp offer in the bsd world, it has the dhclient application
but doing a simple dhclient ipw0 doesn't seem to do much.

I am aware of the "from within" dd solution: dd if=/dev/hda bs=1k
conv=sync,noerror | gzip -c | ssh -c blowfish [EMAIL PROTECTED] "gzip -d |
dd of=/dev/hda bs=1k" but I wouldn't go this way because it's reading
the actual storage while the system writes stuff - not good. Besides,
what if I really do need to restore? I this case I still need a live
cd that would identify my laptop's Wifi/lan device.

There are those "traditional" backups : bacula, amanda & backuppc
(apt-cache search backup for lots more). But this is a slow and boring
process - In case of recovery I will need to install both my windows
and linux machines to do the restore.

I'd thank anyone with a creative / original idea to my situation. I
wouldn't mind creating my own g4u cd, if someone could explain how I
go with adding additional (linux) drivers[3] into the bsd kernel.

The ultimate goal making a ghosted copy of my harddisk, _over the network_!
AKA, without pulling the harddisk out and connecting it with a usb
cable, hack it's 2007 after all... [4]

Thank you,
Maxim.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l