Hi,

I assumed you used this driver: http://umax1220p.sourceforge.net

from my past experience, many scanning drivers for SANE were reversed
engineered (specially for the scanners with the parallel port) and
many of them had issues (only scanning at 300 DPI, 600DPI results are
sometimes look weird, non-responsivness from the scanner, etc...)

Today, the situation is quite different. HP as well as Canon and many
"famous" scanner/printer manufacturers do help with the development of
scanner drivers (for example, HP helps with the HPLIP), so most of the
USB scanners that you can buy these days cheaply, will work happillly
on your linux.

Thanks,
Hetz