I only tried it on windows and it was inferior to the epson software but have
a look at vuescan, it has a linux version and look ok

http://www.hamrick.com/

linux version seems to be
http://www.hamrick.com/files/vuesca84.tgz

It's not free though but it has a free trial (I think it embeds $ signs on the
image so that it won't be usable but you can see the quality it gives you)