El lun, 05-03-2007 a las 09:47 +0200, Elazar Leibovich escribió:
> I'm having an ubuntu Edge Eft (2.6.17-11-generic) system with a ps2
> mouse. After a period of times it moves randomly clicking spots on the
> screen. For reference, the system is affected by the bug mentioned
> here[1] on USB HID wireless mice from HP.
> Anyone know a cure for that?
First time than I hear about such bug in Ubuntu. So I have not
experience with it, but according to the link that you provided the bug,
if it is the same than yours, was solved for Debian systems. It is also
points at the bug description that there are two ways to get it working
again:
- unplug and replug the mouse
- restart the gpm

You can also try with other kernels by pressing¨ Delete" when Grub
starts or with the Ubuntu 6.06 or 7.04 live CDs.
You also should search for a similar bug at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs or report a new one.

> PS this is a reason for the claim that linux is not for the home user
> yet.
Why, by this rare case of an specific mouse on an specific system using
an specific distro under, maybe, an specific kernel? The bug description
also tells that unplug and replug the mouse will make it work again and
also is clear than when the bug was reported, it was solved.
> I'm using windows since 95 on various hardwares, and never
> occured a problem with the crucial input/output
> (screen/keyboard/mouse).
I want to see that if you report such bug to Microsoft, they will take
care of you. By the way, have you noticed of the bunch of hardware that
does not work on Vista?

Hope it will help you.

Julian

> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=314954