I have two sound devices. One is an on-board NVidia PCI bus device. The second
is an USB headset. The problem is that when I boot up with the USB headset
attached, only the USB sound device works and the NVidia PCI device is not
recognized.
<quote>
# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Headset        ]: USB-Audio - Logitech USB Headset
      Logitech Logitech USB Headset at usb-0000:00:02.0-2, full speed
</quote>

If I then run 'alsaconf' the USB device disappears and the NVidia PCI device
alone is shown:
<quote>
# alsaconf
Terminating processes: 5548.
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-intel8x0 snd-ac97-codec snd-ac97-bus
snd-usb-audio snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-usb-lib snd-rawmidi snd-pcm
snd-seq-device snd-hwdep snd-timer snd-page-alloc.
Building card database...
Running update-modules...
Architecture-specific modutils configuration for x86_64 not found, using
defaults
Setting default volumes...
..
# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [CK804          ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK804
         NVidia CK804 with ALC850 at 0xf8105000, irq 225
</quote>

If I then unplug the USB headset and insert it again, both devices will show
and work properly:
<quote>
# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [CK804          ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK804
         NVidia CK804 with ALC850 at 0xf8105000, irq 225
 1 [Headset        ]: USB-Audio - Logitech USB Headset
         Logitech Logitech USB Headset at usb-0000:00:02.0-2, full speed
</quote>

How can I configure the system so that both devices will work from the get go,
without the need to run alsaconf and remove/reinsert the USB device?
My OS is Debian etch

TIA,
Chaim