On 3/7/07, Chaim Keren Tzion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have two sound devices. One is an on-board NVidia PCI bus device. The second
is an USB headset. The problem is that when I boot up with the USB headset
attached, only the USB sound device works and the NVidia PCI device is not
recognized.
<quote>
# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Headset        ]: USB-Audio - Logitech USB Headset
      Logitech Logitech USB Headset at usb-0000:00:02.0-2, full speed
</quote>

If I then run 'alsaconf' the USB device disappears and the NVidia PCI device
alone is shown:
<quote>
# alsaconf
Terminating processes: 5548.
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-intel8x0 snd-ac97-codec snd-ac97-bus
snd-usb-audio snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-usb-lib snd-rawmidi snd-pcm
snd-seq-device snd-hwdep snd-timer snd-page-alloc.
Building card database...
Running update-modules...
Architecture-specific modutils configuration for x86_64 not found, using
defaults
Setting default volumes...
..
# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [CK804          ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK804
         NVidia CK804 with ALC850 at 0xf8105000, irq 225
</quote>

If I then unplug the USB headset and insert it again, both devices will show
and work properly:
<quote>
# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [CK804          ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK804
         NVidia CK804 with ALC850 at 0xf8105000, irq 225
 1 [Headset        ]: USB-Audio - Logitech USB Headset
         Logitech Logitech USB Headset at usb-0000:00:02.0-2, full speed
</quote>

How can I configure the system so that both devices will work from the get go,
without the need to run alsaconf and remove/reinsert the USB device?
My OS is Debian etch

TIA,
Chaim

A workaround,

Identify the kernel module being used by the Logitech USB Headset and
manually load it.

Script at /etc/rc2.d/S99fix-audio:
1.run alsaconf
2. modprobe logitec-headset-module

It seems that when you run alsaconf it removes modules ("Unloading
ALSA sound driver modules") but fails to load them all back. That
might be the reason why you don't get your logitec device back after
alsaconf finished. When you plug the USB cable out and back in the
udev daemon taken care to load the appropriate module. You might want
to check /etc/udev/rules.d for proper loading clues.

HTH

Cheers,
Maxim Veksler

"Free as in Freedom" - Do u GNU ?