I think that your best bet would be to use virtual machines (VMware or
competitor).  You can (EULA permitting) save copies of images at various
stages of installation and operation.
Then, when something goes wrong (as it invariably would), you can
restore an older image, with cost only of copying 4GB data from one
place to another place.

Another option is to use two computers - one running Linux, to be used
to edit files, and the other one - to run compilations and executions.
They'll use SAMBA to share files.

At a previous work I used both approaches.
                                             --- Omer

--
In civilized societies, captions are as important in movies as
soundtracks, professional photography and expert editing.

I may be affiliated in any way.