Tzahi Fadida wrote:
On Monday 16 April 2007 22:16:00 Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:
5) A virtual machine such as VMware. You will need a decent computer,
   enough memory, etc., but the requirements are modest by today's
   standards. I run Linux on a T43 Thinkpad and there are some things
   (being nice to co-workers mainly) that I need to do in Windows, so
   I have an XP in a VMware Player, allocated 368MB of RAM out of the
   total GB to it, and it works just fine. Depending on what kernel
   work you will be doing, you may need to run Windows on real HW and
   Linux in a VM, which may be less than absolutely perfect (but
   probably decent) if you spend the vast majority of your time in the
   Linux desktop.

The above assumes that we are talking about desktop computers and you
will be working at your desk.

There are 2 workplaces i am looking at. At work i am getting 1 computer with who knows what on it. 99% it is windows. It would be stupid to develop drivers on your main OS, thus i am guessing vmware would be the other solution there anyway, so i will also run linux on a separate vmware session or run cygwin solutions. However, i got the feeling it won't play nice if i have 1 main OS + 2 guests at the same time. As a kernel developer, however, i may get a new computer with those new CPUs that can handle VT. Do you think they will be able to handle 2 guests?

The other place is at home which is here i am referring to the hw solution. Here the host os will obviously remain Linux and thus, the virtualized OS would be windows. I guess VMWARE here too? What about XEN? I hear that there are CPUs which are better at virtualization , what should i purchase? currently my computer won't be able to handle another OS since it is p1.6.

normally, when developing drivers for windows, especially if they are hardware drivers - you can't do that on a guest OS - you need to do this on an OS running directly on the hardware. this is because the guest only sees virtualized hardware - and your company's hardware is not supported by the virtualization engine ;)

thus, in most driver-related work places, you will get 2 computers anyway - one on which to develop the code and compile it. one on which to run the driver (and crash it every once in a while). thus, you will be able to run the virtualization system on the first PC. note that in windows, you often connect the debugger, from the development machine, via a serial (COM) cable to the target machine. thus, if you'll run windows as a guest - it'll need access to the COM port - you'll have to figure out how to configure it, and be ready to handle problems on your own - no one in the company will help you with it - unless there's another linux freak there ;)

--guy